Congratulations on coming out as trans! I know that’s gonna sound sarcastic, but I swear it isn’t. Even if you’ve only come out to yourself, you’ve done a brave thing, and I’m proud of you.
Being trans is especially hard at first. The way I got through was finding resources, role models, and community. There will be many more resource lists to come, but here are the basics I think every trans person should know about.
- The Trevor Project: Support network including an emergency phone hotline (866-488-7386), text message hotline (Text “Trevor” to 1-202-304-1200), online instant message hotline, social network platform (https://www.trevorspace.org/), and resource pages for many LGBTQ+ identities (http://www.thetrevorproject.org/pages/support-center).
- Trans Lifeline: Another Trans Hotline for the US (877-565-8860) and Canada (877-330-6366).
- The National Suicide Prevention Hotline: Suicide prevention phone line for the US (800-273-8255).
- International Suicide Hotline: Directory of suicide support lines for over 60 countries.
- Transexual & Transgender Road Map: Outline of the logistics of coming out, finances, gender presentation, medical transition, and health in general. Mainly focused on femme-presenting and mtf transitioning folks.
- Hudson’s FTM Resource Guide: Guide to presenting masculine and ftm transition.
- Refuge Restrooms: Website to find gender-neutral and single-stall bathrooms that are safe for trans* people to use. They also have free apps available on Google Play and iTunes.
- My Trans Health: Guided search for trans-friendly and quality healthcare by location and services.
- Trans Housing Network: Housing network to connect trans people in need with people offering safe and supportive places to stay.
Fun and Inspiration
- Robot Hugs: Adorably awkward webcomic about nonbinary people, mental illness, sexuality, and scoping out adulthood.
- Oh Joy Sex Toy: VERY NSFW reviews of everything that relates to sex, sexuality and the sex industry, in the form of a webcomic!
- Gender of the Day: Recently-dormant tumblr posting a new, delightfully quirky gender each day (including Gender Neutral Milk Hotel, fancy gay, and Sun).
- Gender of the Night: Active and truly terrifying version of Gender of the Day. I don’t recommend reading after sundown.
- Trans People Speak: Project to raise awareness about the diversity that exists within transgender communities through video storytelling.
- NYT Transgender Today: Series of editorials about transgender experiences featuring personal stories from throughout the gender spectrum.
- Trans Is Beautiful: Tumblr of submitted pictures celebrating the beauty of all genders.
- Trans Timelines: Subreddit to share transition timelines and stories.
- Trans Adorable: Subreddit to post and view adorable pics of trans folks.
- Trans Express: Tumblr posting thoughts and news on transgender and queer issues.
- How To Trans: Ever heard of it? Check out our forum to ask questions, meet people, and share stories.
- Genderfork: Blog that offers images, thoughts, identities, and conversations from gender variant people and their extended communities.
- Susan’s Place: Online chats, forums, information, and news for trans folks.
- Gender Spectrum Lounge: Chat rooms and forums for teens and family members to meet new people and discuss trans and gender issues.
Other Master Lists
- Transgender Resources Pin Board: Resources for Trans* Individuals and Awesome People that want to know more about Gender Identity! Also Specific Resources for Oregonians.
- Tumblr Masterpost by forse domani: Long list of links for and about Trans, Intersex, Nonbinary, and Two-Spirit people.
- Transgender Teens’ Survival Guide: An all-purpose site full of useful information, especially for trans youth, including master lists for trans masculine and trans feminine people.
- Genderqueer and Nonbinary Identities: A Tumblr all about nonbinary identities and queer gender expressions and links to related resources.
- GLAAD Transgender Resources: Links to legal help, advocacy groups, and encouraging media.
- FTM Masterpost by Dealing With Life: Resources for FTM/DFAB/Trans Men/Nonbinary people in general.
- FTM Masterpost by good stuff to remember: Tutorials on clothing, presenting masculine, gender affirming surgeries, and voice exercises.
- Tumblr Masterpost by Advice From A Bro: Numerous links about educating friends and family, finding support, and both forms of medical transitioning.
- PFLAG Transgender Resources: Support and resources for trans people and their allies.